With skin cancers accounting for around 80 per cent of all newly diagnosed cancers and between 95 and 99 per cent of skin cancers being caused by exposure to the sun,* it really does make sense to use a self-tanner for a subtle golden glow.
Since it’s not just the sun you need to be wary of, but toxic chemicals in self-tanners too, make sure you opt for a natural brand with organic ingredients. Our skin is our largest organ and what we put on it gets absorbed into our bloodstream. Often used on the whole body, the ingredients in self-tan should be healthy and natural.
Some of the most toxic synthetic ingredients to avoid in your self-tanner include pegs, parabens, petrochemicals, phenoxyethanol and propylene glycol. Check out our toxic ingredients list for further information.
At BB, we absolutely love Eco Tan, not only is it made from certified organic ingredients but gives a gorgeous, natural tan that’s not orange in tone, since its colour is derived from cacao (yes, chocolate!). It also contains other yummy and nourishing ingredients including avocado oil, chamomile extract, honeysuckle flower, grape skin extract and aloe vera. For a natural honey tan for fair skins, opt for Eco Tan’s Winter Skin. For a rich brown tan and darker skin tones, opt for Eco Tan’s Invisible Tan.
Lavera's Self Tanning Lotion is also another organic favourite of ours. It is a gradual tanner which is applied like a body lotion and gives a natural sunkissed glow within a few hours.
1. Exfoliate your face and body, paying particular attention to areas prone to dry skin (elbows, knees, heels, etc.) before applying the self-tan. Use an exfoliant, such as Eco Tan’s Extreme Exfoliant to prep your skin.
2. No need to moisturise before applying your self-tan, as organic brands are nourishing and too much hydration can cause the tan to sit on top of the skin.
3. Using your hands, apply the tan to clean, dry skin, lightly smoothing it in as you go. Do not rub it in as this can cause patchiness. Usually no need to wear gloves with gentle organic tans.
4. Wash and dry your hands thoroughly after use then wipe the back of your hands on your inside thighs or upper arms (where excess product is likely to sit) to cover them.
5. With Eco Tan you can apply your clothes straight away, with other organic self-tans check the label in case you have to wait a little while.
To maintain your beautiful natural tan, moisturise regularly as dry, flaky skin will cause colour to rub off and your tan to look patchy.
Don't forget to also choose a healthy, natural sunscreen :-)
*Statistics are for Australia from www.cancer.org.au
Sign up to get exclusive offers, latest products & beauty advice.
"Wonderful service from BB. Really fast delivery, products came in beautiful packaging and it was also nice to get the free samples. Thank you BB!"
Lucy E. Read more
© 2018 Beautiful Because - ABN 30 778 430 081.
Free Standard Delivery On All Orders Over $50 In Australia.
Worldwide Shipping Available to select countries.