Although we love the long summer days it can be harder to keep our natural makeup in place, and looking perfect without multiple applications. The warmer weather makes us perspire more, and can literally melt some formulas! But it is possible to prolong wear and stay fresh from coffee through to cocktails, with our top tips:
I think it is fair to say that the product that causes the most problems is eyeshadow, which can crease, rub- and wear-off easily, especially if you are prone to oily eyelids. It is also not as quick and easy to reapply as say lippie, when out and about. Our go-to natural makeup artist to the stars, Sally Biondo recommends the following:
1. When applying your daily moisturiser, avoid the eyelid area, this will help increase the longevity of your shadow.
2. Dusting pressed or loose powder to the top of the eyelids before eyeshadow application will also act as a natural primer by absorbing excess oil and creating a smooth surface.
3. Use a neutral eyeshadow colour as a base to help set brighter and darker shades. Inika Cream Eyeshadows make great primers if lightly dabbed (rather than brushed) onto the eyelid and brow bone.
4. Aloe Vera Gel works as a natural primer, apply a small amount onto eyelids, let it absorb completely and apply eyeshadow. This also works great as an all over base for oily skin types.
Although we expect to have to reapply lipstick throughout the day, long wear formulas are preferable but can be more drying. When it comes to natural lipsticks, Mother Nature has all the colours of the rainbow at her fingertips so choose a high pigment lipstick for more impact longer wear.
1. It is easy to remember to exfoliate your face and body, but all too easy to forget your lips. In order to prevent flaking lippie and prolong wear, exfoliating is key. Use a gentle natural formula twice a week and follow with a lip treatment or balm; such as Bite Beauty Agave Lip Balm.
2. Use a lip primer! Yes, an all-natural lip primer does exist thanks to Bite Beauty! It really does work it for you – silky and soft, it preps, plumps and protects lips. Its antioxidant rich ingredients nourish, maintain colour and prevent feathering.
3. Use a lip liner. Not only can lip liners be used to accentuate lip shape and that cupid's bow, but to fill in the lips and create a base for the lipstick. Don't forget to line - it makes such a difference!
4. Apply two coats of lipstick to prolong wear and blot with a tissue in between coats to help set the pigment and keep colour in place.
To keep your face (makeup!) in place, layering is key. But there is a fine line between looking natural and cakey. Here are our top tips.
1. Exfoliate with a natural formula a couple of times a week to keep skin soft and smooth and prevent flakiness that can be exasperated by foundation.
2. Use a makeup primer as it will be the perfect base for your makeup – helping prolong wear, enhance radiance, and reduce the appearance of open pores and fine lines; Inika's Truly Organic Pure Makeup Primer blurs the line between makeup and skincare, perfecting skin with it's silky formula.
3. Apply your foundation of choice, then finish with a translucent setting powder to set your makeup and prevent shine.
4. Spritz with a natural rosewater mist to refresh your makeup before a night out.
Finally, if you are out and about this summer and looking for makeup that's going to work that little bit harder for you, come rain or shine, beach or gym, opt for natural waterproof makeup formulas.
By Nina Weston